Africa Safari’s new range of exciting 3-day guided walking safaris guarantee an exceptional interpretive, up close and personal, yet safe, wilderness experience. All walks are led by qualified rangers who have had intensive specialized instruction at Inkwazi, the ranger training school at Phinda Private Game Reserve. On a walking safari, the safety of guests is our highest priority and dangerous animals are avoided. Each walking safari begins with a comprehensive demonstration on how to behave when encountering animals.
More on Walking Safaris:
- Enjoy a daily five-hour morning walk, a short pre-sunset walk and night drive combination
- Luxurious en suite tents offer flushing toilets, comfortable beds, hot bucket showers, hearty brunches and delicious dinners around the fire
- Superlative service
- Four-day trails can accommodate a maximum of eight people in four tents
- Ideal for families, groups and individuals
- Two departures weekly
- No triples
- Guests have to be 16 years and older
- Reasonable standards of fitness are a prerequisite but distances depend on wildlife encounters
Africa Safaris offer Walking safaris at the following locations:
1. Walking safaris at Ngala Private Game Reserve - Kruger National Park
- Walk through Big Five country
- Up close and personal with the wildlife of the Kruger National Park
- Excellent birding and sightings of wildlife
2. Phinda Private Game Reserve - KwaZulu-Natal
- Exceptional wildlife experience
- Seven distinct habitats, including the unique Sand Forest
- Mzinene riverine vegetation
- Fever tree forests
- More than 350 species of birds
Walking Safaris Itinerary:
Depart from USA for Johannesburg International airport and transfer to Ngala or Phinda Private Game Reserve.
DAY 1: Ngala or Phinda
Safari Guests are transferred to the camp at 2.00pm. After an orientation and briefing from the Guide, they enjoy a one to one and a half hour walk before an evening game-drive in safari-equipped vehicles, returning to camp for a hearty al fresco dinner.
DAY 2 & 3: Ngala or Phinda
An early start for four to five hours of walking and exploring (geared to guests’ ability, desires and to the wildlife encountered). Your ranger will regale you with tales of the folklore of the area, with the medicinal uses of various plants and trees, and will interpret the wilderness through which you walk. Guest safety is paramount - both the ranger and tracker are armed, carry a First Aid kit, and are in constant radio contact with base camp.
Guests return to camp between 9.00am and 10.00am, for a delicious brunch of fresh fruit, muesli and yoghurt, and bacon, egg and sausage. A siesta follows. After a generous high tea, an afternoon game-drive takes guests to the starting point for their next walk - a scenic one to one and a half hour stroll through a scenic location. A game-drive ends back at camp in time for an al fresco feast under the stars, served by the camp hostess and assistant. A hot shower precedes a blissful sleep in a five-star tent with comfortable beds, hot bucket shower and flush w/c.
DAY 4: Departure
A short half hour stroll generates a good appetite for a hearty brunch. At 11.00pm guests are transferred to the airstrip for their return flight to Johannesburg and thereafter to the USA.